While turning from a regular company employee into a freelancer, few questions will always pop up in your mind. Will I get freelance assignments on a regular basis? Will the payment be sufficient enough to pay the bills? Is the company giving me assignments, trustworthy enough? Such questions are bound to occur while choosing freelance writing.
One can opt for a freelancing work for a number of reasons. One may have to take out more time for a bigger priority in life, such as homemakers taking care of the family and chores. Or, one may wish to do multiple projects instead of getting stuck to only one kind of work every other day. Whatever the reason be, the main question that arises is, ‘Can one really make money as a Freelance Writer?’
I have been working as a freelance writer for over a year now. And my reason for opting for freelancing is to become open for more opportunities and challenges at the same time. Doing the same kind of assignments every other day would get too monotonous for me. So, I chose to do assignments of different types that would keep my interest and creativity intact. Be it blogging for the online websites, writing for radio shows or composing lyrics for songs, the multiformity of the nature of work keeps the boredom away. And the best part is, I am my own boss.
For the newbies, here are some of my suggestions on how to make money as a freelance writer.
• Social Networking sites – Social networking sites are awesome to keep you from getting bored. They also help in getting you connected with the people who you don’t meet on a regular basis. But do remember that these sites can also help you in getting freelance assignments. Keep your eyes open on pages like Media Jobs Daily. On these sites, writing and other kinds of projects galore .
• Bid Sites – New freelance writers can get a lot of projects here. Here, the providers — the representatives of a company — post their assignments, and the writers bid their quotes on them. The job is outsourced within minutes. One can get good projects on such sites. Although the competition is stiff, there are fair chances of you winning the bids if you have marketed yourself well, or are in good books of earlier employers. Sites like Freelancer and Elance can fetch you a lot of work if you visit them regularly.
• Online Job Search Sites – Then there are different job search sites particularly aimed at media related jobs. They keep posting writing and other media related jobs on their sites. Before starting to work for a client, make sure you verify the credibility of the client. There are chances of meeting fraudulent clients. Sites like Mandy, JobsMedia, Afaqs, are quite trustworthy.
• Networking – It is beneficial to meet up and network with the people of similar profession. It will help you in procuring a lot of work.
• SEO – SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a process of affecting the visibility of a web page in a search engine’s search results. You can apply for SEO writing jobs, since article writing is one of their techniques to build links.
• Don’t Worry, Be Happy! – In the beginning, don’t expect heaps of work waiting on your doorstep. It takes time. Like any other media person, a freelancing writer too has to market himself. Gradually, when the world will start getting to know you, they will approach you for work. Have patience and till then, keep on practicing your art.